Mathematics is the study of numbers, shapes, and patterns. It includes various complex and simple arithmetic topics that help people in their daily life routine. In Maths, Numbers play a major role and they can be of different types like Real Numbers, Whole Numbers, Natural Numbers, Decimal Numbers, Rational Numbers, etc. Today, we are going to discuss one of the main topics of Decimal Numbers. In Decimals, identifying the Decimal Place Values is a fundamental topic and everyone should know the techniques clearly. So, here we will be discussing elaborately the topic of Decimal Place Values Chart.
Let’s get into it.
What is a Decimal in Math?
What is the Place Value of Decimals?
Place value is a positional notation system where the position of a digit in a number, determines its value. The place value for decimal numbers is arranged exactly the identical form of treating whole numbers, but in this case, it is reverse. On the basis of the preceding exponential of 10, the place value in decimals can be decided.
Decimal Place Value Chart
On the place value chart, the numbers on the left of the decimal point are multiplied with increasing positive powers of 10, whereas the digits on the right of the decimal point are multiplied with increasing negative powers of 10 from left to right.
- The first digit after the decimal represents the tenths place.
- The second digit after the decimal represents the hundredths place.
- The third digit after the decimal represents the thousands place.
- The rest of the digits proceed to fill in the place values until there are no digits left.
How to write the place value of decimals for the number 132.76?
- The place of 6 in the decimal 132.76 is 6/100
- The place of 7 in the decimal 132.76 is 7/10
- The place of 2 in the decimal 132.76 is 2
- The place of 3 in the decimal 132.76 is 30
- The place of 1 in the decimal 132.76 is 100.
1. Write the place value of digit 7 in the following decimal number: 5.47?
The number 7 is in the place of hundredths, and its place value is 7 x 10 -2 = 7/100 = 0.07.
2. Identify the place value of the 6 in the given number: 689.87?
Given number is 689.87
The place of 6 in the decimal 689.87 is 600 or 6 hundreds.
3. Write the following numbers in the decimal place value chart.
4532.079 in the decimal place value chart.
490.7042 in the decimal place value chart.